joe robin rogan, a Toronto man who says he was chased down and arrested by Toronto police in 2015, has been granted a bail hearing, CBC News has learned.
The bail hearing was held Wednesday in a downtown courthouse.
It was adjourned to Nov. 4.
Robin, 25, is facing charges including assault, uttering threats, resisting arrest, obstructing justice and uttering death threats.
He is due back in court Oct. 27.
Toronto Police Association president Craig Gormley said Robin’s bail application is still being considered by the courts.
The charges stem from an incident that happened at the same time as the video was posted on YouTube.
Gormley described the arrest as a “horrific” and “very tragic event” and called for Robin to be charged with aggravated assault, mischief and utterance threats.
“I’m disappointed that the bail application has been put on hold and I hope that it will be reviewed soon,” he said.
Grimmley said Toronto police had been investigating Robin for some time before the video went viral.
“It’s unfortunate and disappointing that we have to have this process where there is an ongoing criminal investigation going on.
I think that’s the best that can be done for the public, and the public is entitled to know.”
Gormle said Roby has since spoken with Toronto police and that they have a good relationship with him.
“The fact that they’ve been able to find a way to resolve this is a huge deal for them,” he added.
Roby has been released on bail and has no criminal record.